The EPA has created a “Best Practices” List for Salon Owners and Managers. These include:
- Post “No Smoking”, “No Eating”, and “No Drinking” signs in shop’s work area.
- Post a sign near the shop’s sink to remind workers to wash their hands before and after each customer, after handling chemicals, and before eating.
- Require all customers to wash their hands before receiving service.
- Perform services only on healthy nails and intact skin.
- Post step-by-step procedures near the shop’s sink and in the shop’s work area on how to clean and disinfect nail instruments and other equipment that comes in contact with clients’ skin.
- Properly ventilate each work station. Preferably, install an effective exhaust system with individual exhaust vents for each work table. If possible, the exhaust should be vented outdoors in a manner that meets local building code requirements.
- Keep the general ventilation system (HVAC) on during work hours.
- Place a metal trash can with a self-closing lid at every work station.
- Label all product containers clearly and properly.
- Purchase appropriate masks and gloves recommended in the SDS for staff.
- Do not buy or use any nail product containing liquid methyl methacrylate (MMA) monomer.
- Designate a chemical storage area far away from the dining area and equipped with local exhaust ventilation.
- Provide an adequately ventilated dining area for nail salon workers, partitioned from the shop’s work area.
- Designate a storage place for a binder of SDSs for all nail salon products.
- Ask for the most up-to-date SDS for each product at least once a year.
- Inform employees where SDSs are kept.
- Provide training required for reading and understanding SDSs.
- Provide worker training on hazard communication and proper storage and handling of flammable liquids as required by OSHA.
- Maintain the latest copy of the state cosmetology board’s rules and regulations.
When working in a cosmetology establishment, be sure to protect yourself and others. To learn more, please register for training with us at: https://ceinstitute.com/
#cosmetology #nailtechnician #manicure #pedicure #safety #safetyfirst #salon #spa #business #sanitation #disinfection #cleaning #mani #pedi #sds #sdssheet #massage #massagetherapy #massagetherapist #bodywork #bodyworker #lmt #massageestablishment