12 CE Hour Oncology & Geriatric Massage Live Interactive Webinar
This highly interactive webinar WILL count as a 12 CE Hour live hands-on class with both NCBTMB & The Florida Board of Massage!
This is an identical class to our live presentation however because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are now offering it at a reduced price via a live webinar. You will have some opportunity to have instructor interaction with questions/answers and hear other students' questions regarding the presented material. There will be several instructor bodywork demonstrations with plentiful student practice-along time. Our webinars are largely interactive with polls, break-out sessions with the other students and more. We will email a link to access your live webinar shortly before the start of this online webinar. Please login to your live webinar 30 minutes prior to the start of class. Any student who is not logged in at the start of class, or anyone does not attend the entire online class will not receive a certificate or CE credit. We cannot provide a certificate or partial CE credit for partial attendance for any webinar. Thank you.
This Live Interactive 12 CE Hour Oncology & Geriatric Massage webinar class is offered on the following dates:
- Please select "11 am July 17, 2021" above for the following 2-day class schedule: Saturday & Sunday July 17 & 18, 2021 from 11 am to 5:30
- Please select "11 am July 18, 2021" above for the following 2-day class schedule: Sunday & Monday, July 18 & 19, 2021 from 11 am to 5:30
- Please select "9 am August 15, 2021" above for the following 2-day class schedule: Sunday & Monday, August 15 & 16, 2021 from 9 am to 3:30
- Please select "9 am August 16, 2021" above for the following 2-day class schedule: Monday & Tuesday, August 16 & 17, 2021 from 9 am to 3:30
The US National Cancer Institute reports: People age 65 and older represent approximately 60% of cancer patients and account for 70% of annual cancer deaths. As such, we always find it is best to study these 2 subjects together.
This 12 CE Hour Oncology & Geriatric Massage Webinar Includes:
- Learn the History & Timeline of Cancer
- Learn the Bodywork Goals for Cancer Patients & Survivors
- Practice a Client Intake Process to work with Oncology
- View an Instructor Demo of Swedish Oncology Massage
- A Working with Cancer Lecture
- Learn Oncology Contraindications for Swedish Oncology Massage
- Review "Physician Dialogue" - Questions to ask your Client's Doctor about their Cancer and/or Cancer Treatments
- Review Ethics & Responsibilities in Working with Cancer
- Geriatric Bone & Osteoporosis Changes & Conditions
- Arthritic Conditions (covers: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout plus Heberden & Bouchard's Nodes)
- The Top 3 Deteriorations of the Human Spine (Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis & Disc Degeneration)
- Joint Deterioration & Replacement (covers cemented and uncemented prosthesis)
- Geriatric Skin Conditions & Changes (includes: Age/Liver Spots, Seborrheic Keratosis & Shingles)
- Geriatric Changes in Muscle
- Geriatric Vision & Hearing Changes (includes: Glaucoma, Corneal Disease, Cataracts, Conjunctivitis, Dry Eyes, Floaters & Presbyopia)
- Falling & Balance Issues with Nervous & Cardiovascular Changes
- Geriatric Cardiovascular Conditions & Considerations - Hormonal & Endocrine System Changes
- Dementia & Alzheimer's
- Geriatric Organ, Gland & Tissue Changes
- Communications for Geriatrics
- Elder Abuse
- Bodywork Modifications that can be made for the Frail & Elderly
- Health Care Proxy Info
- Practice 2 types of Sweet Sessions™. One for terminal clients and the 2nd for clients who are fighting to live, or living out their natural lives but are contraindicated for regular massage.
12 CE Hour Oncology & Geriatric Massage CE Broker Course #20-796674
Please click HERE for all Oncology classes at CE Institute LLC.
This oncology class was written and is taught by CE Institute LLC Founder, Selena Belisle. When Selena sought formal “full body” massage therapy training in 1995 in a 1,000+ hour program at the Massage Institute of New England, she was taught that it was contraindicated to massage anyone with cancer. Back in the 1990s (and earlier), it was thought that massaging anyone with cancer could “spread their cancer”. We know today that was totally false. Today, and in this class, we teach something entirely different. Today, we have new information about how to appropriately work with clients who are suffering with cancer, those who are undergoing intensive cancer treatments, and those who are in remission but have detrimental after-effects.
Selena started in the industry with sports massage in 1989. Over the past 3 decades, she has worked with thousands of cancer patients and survivors. This included her own personal practice with oncology clients, plus a decade of managing over 40 other massage therapists, 4 acupuncturists and 4 chiropractors in an alternative health care practice which she founded in Braintree & Quincy, Massachusetts, until she sold in 2005. She then spent another 5-years training and managing a 2nd staff as a Newbury Street Spa Owner in Boston, MA from 2005-2010. The spa provided esthetic skin care services (facials, body scrubs, wraps, etc.) which created a greater awareness of working with skin cancers.
A few years ago, Selena was diagnosed with Melanoma, the most severe form of skin cancer. Her father is also a melanoma skin cancer survivor. Selena works closely with Impact Melanoma, to help professionals recognize and alert clients to any concerning skin/mole changes. Selena has also volunteered in the chemotherapy infusion unit at the Miami Cancer Institute in 2017/2018. She has taken numerous seminars in live and online education about working with cancer over the past 3 decades. And she has spent countless hours studying the ever-changing evolution of oncology research and practice. You can view a more complete list of Selena’s accolades including her publications, training and experience by clicking HERE.
Selena also won a 2017 Award from Dana Farber & the Jimmy Fund for: “in recognition of extraordinary support of research and patient care at Dana Farber Cancer Institute, leading to breakthroughs against cancer”. With Selena’s massive, award winning experience in oncology care, she created this comprehensive oncology bodywork class which is 100% resourced with scientific research and data. Selena’s history, studies, practice and instruction of working with people with cancer and cancer survivors, makes her one of the foremost leading industry instructors of oncology bodywork education today.
Wendy Langen PA-C, MCMSc, LMT, usually teaches the geriatric portion (and possibly even some of the oncology portion) of this class. Wendy is a graduate of the Sarasota School of Massage Therapy and has been a Licensed Massage Therapist since 1992. Wendy returned to the Sarasota school as a licensed graduate to teach Anatomy and Physiology in the 90’s.
Wendy went on to obtain a Master’s Degree in Clinical Medical Science from Barry University in 2000. Today, she is a licensed and nationally-certified physician assistant. Wendy currently holds a primary faculty position at the Barry University Physician Assistant Program, in addition to teaching CE Classes part-time at CE Institute LLC.
Wendy has an extensive medical, teaching and research background that surpasses most massage therapy instructors. She has worked in diagnostic medicine and has been repeatedly published in the medical community. You can view more about Wendy’s accolades by clicking HERE.
Please enjoy Massage Magazine's article about Geriatric Massage, which received published expert contribution by CE Institute LLC Founder/Instructor - Selena Belisle: