20 CE Hour Geriatric Oncology $275 (for Hand & Stone)
This is a 20 CE Hour Class that has been put together for the Company: Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa. The class consists of 18 CE Hours of Live/Hands-on Class + 2 CE Hours of Computer/Online Class. When you purchase this class and select your live class dates, our computers will automatically generate an email response to provide access to your online oncology courses. Check your email to access your online courses.
The course also includes 6 FREE Computer/Online CE Hours so that Florida State Massage Therapists can meet their license renewal requirements with this purchase (the 6 CE Hours Includes: Ethics, Errors Prevention & FL Laws & Rules). Access to these mandatory Florida Renewal License Renewal courses will be provided in the same email as the oncology computer/online classes. All of the online computer classes must be completed within 1-week from when access is provided. Completing the 6 CE Hour Package FREE CE Classes is optional. Completing the 2 CE Hours of Computer/Online Oncology Classes is Mandatory to receive the 20 CE Hour Geriatric Oncology Certification.
The 18 CE Hour Live Class Times available are :
- 2 Days: Sunday February 24, 2019 9 am - 9:30 pm & Tuesday February 25, 2019 1 - 7:30 pm
- 3 Days: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 3:30 - 9:30 pm, Monday, April 8, 2019, 1 pm - 7:30 pm & Tuesday, April 9, 2019, 1 pm - 7:30 pm
- 2 Days: Saturday June 1, 2019, 10 am - 4:30 pm & Sunday, June 2, 2019, 9 am - 9:30 pm
- 3 Days: Sunday, August 11, 2019, 3:30 - 9:30 pm, Monday, August 12, 2019, 1 pm - 7:30 pm & Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 1 pm - 7:30 pm
ALL LIVE CLASSES WILL BE HELD AT CE INSTITUTE LLC, 111 NE 1st STREET, MIAMI, FL 33132
The US National Cancer Institute reports: People age 65 and older represent approximately 60% of cancer patients and account for 70% of annual cancer deaths. This course is primarily designed to help licensed bodyworkers learn about what is safe to work on between geriatric and oncology clients and when or where it is NOT safe to provide massage or bodywork with these populations. While one live 18 CE Hour Live Course (plus 2 CE Hours online) cannot consider every possible medical scenario, our combined 20 CE Hour Class does provide a condensed, comprehensive scientific massage-based education that allows most therapists to feel more knowledgeable and confident when working with oncology, and specifically with the aging population who have survived cancer, or are in active cancer treatments.
This combined 20 CE Hour class provides basic education about different cancer types, plus which are "safe" to work with, and which maybe contraindicated (and the latest reasoning of "why"). We review the different types of cancer treatments available today, and how to navigate complex oncology contraindications. We will also learn about the Lymphatic System and how to practice Manual Lymphatic Drainage Techniques for Lymphedema (a common post-cancer treatment need). Manual Lymphatic Drainage Techniques are limited to the extremities (arms and/or legs). And, this 20 CE Hour class includes a 2nd bodywork session - we will practice and receive a "Sweet Session", which is a bodywork treatment that can be provided when "regular" massage is contraindicated - for all types of clients including terminal, clients who have been badly burned in radiation treatments or have compromised skin and those fighting cancer in active cancer treatments.
The population that has the greatest amount of cancer are our Senior citizens. In this 18 hour class, we also review the AGING PROCESS which shows how our body deteriorates over time, and the many physical and physiological changes that happen internally and externally. The fact is, we are living longer and getting better at fighting cancer, which means we have more cancer survivors living amongst us today. And, one of the things that survivors seek for better living is therapeutic massage, so the chance of working on a cancer survivor is growing exponentially. Many times a client may not even tell you that they are a cancer survivor until they get on your table! So, it's important to seek out specialty training (like this class) for this growing and aging population before the situation presents itself in your business. Geriatric aging and bodywork topics for senior citizens include:
- Bone & Osteoporosis Changes & Conditions (which are further affected with aging beyond the cancer and cancer treatments themselves)
- Arthritic Conditions (covers: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout plus Heberden & Bouchard's Nodes)
- The Top 3 Deteriorations of the Human Spine (Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis & Disc Degeneration)
- Joint Deterioration & Replacement (covers cemented and uncemented prosthesis)
- Skin Conditions & Changes (includes: Age/Liver Spots, Seborrheic Keratosis & Shingles)
- Geriatric Changes in Muscle
- Vision & Hearing Changes (includes: Glaucoma, Corneal Disease, Cataracts, Conjunctivitis, Dry Eyes, Floaters & Presbyopia)
- Falling & Balance Issues with Nervous & Cardiovascular Changes
- Geriatric Cardiovascular Conditions & Considerations - Hormonal & Endocrine System Changes
- Dementia & Alzheimers
- Organ, Gland & Tissue Changes
- Communications for Geriatrics
- Elder Abuse
- Bodywork Modifications that can be made for Treatment
- Extensive Research About Bodywork for Geriatrics
- Health Care Proxy Info
This class has an enormous amount of SCIENCE, biology, pathology, scientific research, charts, diagrams and graphic pictures of live and cadaver tissues.
There are also multiple bodywork disciplines taught with this class that address:
- Swelling from Oncology Treatments, Cancers & Tumor Compression
- Radiated Tissues & Compromised Skin
- Clients that are not capable of having regular massage or bodywork
- Clients who need their regular massage or bodywork modified due to their changing conditions or medical treatments