18 CE Hour Geriatric Oncology for Bodyworkers
This 18 CE Hour Geriatric Oncology for Bodyworkers is offered on the following dates:
- Please select "9:00 am Aug 8, 2020" above for the following 2-Day class schedule: Saturday, Aug 8, 2020, 9 am - 9:30 pm & Sunday, August 9, 2020, 3:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Please select "9:00 am Jan 16, 2021" above for the following 2-Day class schedule: Saturday, Jan 16, 2021, 9 am - 9:30 pm & Sunday, January 17, 2021, 3:30 pm - 9:30 pm
The US National Cancer Institute reports: People age 65 and older represent approximately 60% of cancer patients and account for 70% of annual cancer deaths. As such, we always find it is best to study these 2 subjects together.
This course is primarily designed to help licensed bodyworkers learn about what is safe to work on between geriatric and oncology clients and when or where it is NOT safe to provide massage or bodywork with these populations. While one 18 hour course cannot consider every possible medical scenario, it does provide a condensed, comprehensive scientific massage-based education that allows most therapists to feel more knowledgeable and confident when working with these conditions.
This class combines the following 2 classes offered here at CE Institute LLC:
- Learn the History & Timeline of Cancer
- Learn the Bodywork Goals for Cancer Patients & Survivors
- Practice a Client Intake Process to work with Oncology
- View an Instructor Demo of Swedish Oncology Massage
- Practice (and receive) a 30 Min Swedish Oncology Massage Sessions
- A Working with Cancer Lecture
- Learn Oncology Contraindications for Swedish Oncology Massage
- Review "Physician Dialogue" - Questions to ask your Client's Doctor about their Cancer and/or Cancer Treatments
- Review Ethics & Responsibilities in Working with Cancer
- Review the Definition of Oncology
- Learn Different Oncology "Causes"
- Learn About Metastasis
- Review Cancer Types
- Review Cancer Classifications
- Talk About What’s it like with Cancer
- Skin Cancer Review
- See the Symptoms of Cancer
- One hour of learning about an Alternative Form of Bodywork Called a "Sweet Session" - for Cancer Patients & Survivors who are Contraindicated for Regular Massage
- Practice & Trade Sweet Session Amongst Students
- Review an Oncology Client's Immunity, Impact & Sanitation
- Review Carcinogens and Virus
- Learn the Different Cancer Treatments you may work with as a Massage Therapist
- One Hour of Zone Reflexology Instruction of 10 Minute Zone Therapy Practice Hands-on Sessions
The population that has the greatest amount of cancer are our Senior citizens. The US National Cancer Institute reports: People age 65 and older represent approximately 60% of cancer patients and account for 70% of annual cancer deaths. In this 18 hour class, we also review the AGING PROCESS which shows how our body deteriorates over time and the many changes that happen internally and externally. Geriatric aging and bodywork topics for senior citizens include:
- Bone & Osteoporosis Changes & Conditions
- Arthritic Conditions (covers: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout plus Heberden & Bouchard's Nodes)
- The Top 3 Deteriorations of the Human Spine (Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis & Disc Degeneration)
- Joint Deterioration & Replacement (covers cemented and uncemented prosthesis)
- Skin Conditions & Changes (includes: Age/Liver Spots, Seborrheic Keratosis & Shingles)
- Geriatric Changes in Muscle
- Vision & Hearing Changes (includes: Glaucoma, Corneal Disease, Cataracts, Conjunctivitis, Dry Eyes, Floaters & Presbyopia)
- Falling & Balance Issues with Nervous & Cardiovascular Changes
- Geriatric Cardiovascular Conditions & Considerations - Hormonal & Endocrine System Changes
- Dementia & Alzheimers
- Organ, Gland & Tissue Changes
- Communications for Geriatrics
- Elder Abuse
- Bodywork Modifications that can be made for Treatment
- Extensive Research About Bodywork for Geriatrics
- Health Care Proxy Info
This class has an enormous amount of SCIENCE, biology, pathology, scientific research, charts, diagrams and graphic pictures of live and cadaver tissues.
There are also multiple bodywork disciplines taught with this class that address:
- Radiated Tissues & Compromised Skin
- Clients that are not capable of having regular massage or bodywork
- Clients with cardiovascular circulatory issues
- Clients who need their regular massage or bodywork modified due to their changing conditions or medical treatments
18 CE Hour Geriatric Oncology for Bodyworkers CE Broker Course #20-679012
Please click HERE for all Oncology classes at CE Institute LLC.
This live class will be held at: CE Institute LLC, 111 NE 1st Street, Miami FL 33132.
Please click HERE to view a monthly calendar of ALL live classes available at CE Institute LLC.
This oncology class was written and is taught by CE Institute LLC Founder, Selena Belisle. When Selena sought formal “full body” massage therapy training in 1995 in a 1,000+ hour program at the Massage Institute of New England, she was taught that it was contraindicated to massage anyone with cancer. Back in the 1990s (and earlier), it was thought that massaging anyone with cancer could “spread their cancer”. We know today that was totally false. Today, and in this class, we teach something entirely different. Today, we have new information about how to appropriately work with clients who are suffering with cancer, those who are undergoing intensive cancer treatments, and those who are in remission but have detrimental after-effects.
Selena started in the industry with sports massage in 1989. Over the past 3 decades, she has worked with thousands of cancer patients and survivors. This included her own personal practice with oncology clients, plus a decade of managing over 40 other massage therapists, 4 acupuncturists and 4 chiropractors in an alternative health care practice which she founded in Braintree & Quincy, Massachusetts, until she sold in 2005. She then spent another 5-years training and managing a 2nd staff as a Newbury Street Spa Owner in Boston, MA from 2005-2010. The spa provided esthetic skin care services (facials, body scrubs, wraps, etc.) which created a greater awareness of working with skin cancers.
A few years ago, Selena was diagnosed with Melanoma, the most severe form of skin cancer. Her father is also a melanoma skin cancer survivor. Selena works closely with Impact Melanoma, to help professionals recognize and alert clients to any concerning skin/mole changes. Selena has also volunteered in the chemotherapy infusion unit at the Miami Cancer Institute in 2017/2018. She has taken numerous seminars in live and online education about working with cancer over the past 3 decades. And she has spent countless hours studying the ever-changing evolution of oncology research and practice. You can view a more complete list of Selena’s accolades including her publications, training and experience by clicking HERE.
Selena also won a 2017 Award from Dana Farber & the Jimmy Fund for: “in recognition of extraordinary support of research and patient care at Dana Farber Cancer Institute, leading to breakthroughs against cancer”. With Selena’s massive, award winning experience in oncology care, she created this comprehensive oncology bodywork class which is 100% resourced with scientific research and data. Selena’s history, studies, practice and instruction of working with people with cancer and cancer survivors, makes her one of the foremost leading industry instructors of oncology bodywork education today.